Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Arizona Mom Break

For the first time since I had kids, I took what I'm calling a Mom Break to Phoenix, AZ for my younger cousin's wedding. It was a bad time of year for the boys to miss school, so I left the Hubs and minis at home and went to Arizona for 4 1/2 days to enjoy some much needed relaxation, soak up the sun, and actually catch up with family members. It's amazing how many conversations I've missed out on just from chasing around my minis at family functions!
Part of me was reluctant to leave my little family behind, but the Mom Break benefited all of us. I'm not sure when the opportunity for another Mom Break will present itself, but when it does, I'll for sure be all for it!

I'm a road trip kind of person, not the flying kind. It's been nearly 9 years since I've last flown and I did not miss it one bit. I actually got quite sick, swollen, and dehydrated from flying. On the return trip home I took Dramamine and felt so much better. I'll be sticking to road trips for a while!

Gorgeous mountain view from the Denver airport.
This put a smile on face.
We arrived in Phoenix and immediately hit In-N-Out Burger. 
Relaxing by the fire pit on the patio. 
A big shout out to my little cousin Ben: Not only is he cute, but he's super sweet and helpful too. I had requested to use a computer while I was in Phoenix so I wouldn't be bombarded with emails and work when I returned. Ben offered up his laptop and helped set up everything for me....and then proceeded to ask me if I needed anything as I worked (water, a snack, a blanket, etc.). I hope my boys will be this wonderful when they're 12 years old!
I requested a proof of life picture from the Hubs. Instead he sends me this. It wasn't very reassuring, but I got treated to lots of pictures and videos later in the weekend.
On our way to the wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. As the bride and groom met with the wedding coordinator, the rest of the guests took in the country club sights. We all got a good laugh when I accused a few people of walking across the green with jogging strollers. "That's incredibly rude! There's walking trails everywhere around here!" Turns out they're golf bag carts. Apparently I need to spend more time on a golf course!
Gorgeous view from the wedding sight.


While everyone was busy getting hair and make up done for the wedding, I choose to enjoy mimosas, peanuts, and the podcast "Serial" (http://serialpodcast.org/) by the pool. I ate as many peanuts as I could while I was away since nut products are allowed in our house thanks to the oldest mini's food allergies.


Such a beautiful and fun wedding to attend. I'm so happy I could be there to share in my cousin's special day.

One of the best Father of the Bride speeches I've heard was given by my uncle Bill.
I nerded out halfway through the wedding and put my glasses on....add dry eyes to the list pregnancy has done to my body.
 Feet up watching football games on Sunday afternoon.
 I had really wanted to get a nice long hike in, but instead we walked to a nearby park. It was a much needed 3 mile walk up a hill (smallish mountain) to see some wonderful views.


 An archery park that we'll definitely check out next time we're in town.


 One of the best coffee beverages I've had: a Mexican chocolate latte. Even better: I sipped it as we flew over mountains.
 Flying on top of the clouds. This amazes me every time.
 My favorite part of the trip: coming home and being greeted at the airport by the Hubs and minis with a card and flowers.