Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Love Letter To A Rug



Dear $14.99 Number Rug from IKEA,

You are the best. You are my favorite purchase from our trip to IKEA while we visited Minneapolis (read more on that adventure here: http://ashlen-kidspert.blogspot.com/2014/09/labor-day-weekend-getaway-twin-cities.html ). I know I went a little crazy with the kids stuff, but where else am I going to find an entire miniature King and Queen puppet theater with finger puppets for only $5??? I was pondering over a kids tennis racket set (another Field Day possibly for next summer!!) when YOU number rug, caught my eye. You instantly went into our cart.

I had no idea where I was going to put you, but I just had to grab you. You were too cute for words. I wound up laying you down in the middle of the living room because that's where the kids wanted you. You instantly became a popular game center. I foresee some great number games being played this winter when the kids need to get out some energy. The kids hopped, skipped, and jumped onto your numbers, proudly announcing the number they were stepping on (I had no idea my four year old could correctly identify all of his numbers). You became a fun way for my 6 year old to practice his addition and subtraction problems (I tell him to jump from the number 9 to the number 4, then ask what's 9+4, when that is correctly answered I ask what 9-4 is. Or, when he wants a challenge: what's 9+4? Followed by what's 13+4? and so forth). You have also sparked the kids inquiries of measurements and "who's the tallest kid?" as they measure themselves against your sides.

You also brought order to the sometimes chaotic children. I can easily tell the children to "go sit on a number" and they happily do so. They love to sit on you for story time. Your little circle numbers keep them still, for they try so hard to keep their bodies in those little circles. I did not know these kiddos needed a number rug, but obviously they did. I love hearing them randomly call out "I'm on the seven today!"


Yes, you've also had to endure some major temper tantrums right on top of you. For that I am sorry, but get use to it because eventually you will be screamed on, pooped on, peed on, spilled on, and everything in between. I should also take the time to apologize that it was our house you were brought in to.


Well number rug, you are my proof to my husband that my random, I-don't-know-what-we're-going-to-do-with-it-but-I-have-to-have-it purchases are soooo worth it. You're the best, IKEA number rug!

Love,

A Happy Mom

P.S. Thanks for cleaning up great too! The Hubs did not mean to wipe his muddy feet on you I swear, but that mud came right up with a light scrubbing with soap and water. This makes me quite confident you'll surely last another month in this house!