Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Kool Aid Colored Rice Sensory Bin

We love sensory bins here! They are a crucial part of me keeping my sanity intact during the winter, rainy days, and hot, hot summer days. This week, with temps above 100, I haven't been able to take the kids outside and still need to keep them busy. Enter the Kool Aid colored rice sensory bin. I colored this rice several months ago and it still smells amazingly fruity, has good color (I was told the colors would wear off), and provides entertainment for the kiddies.

It's very simple to make: Let uncooked white rice sit in water with Kool Aid mixed in for about a half hour. Then sit in the sunlight until completely dry. The kids love sifting through the rice, scooping, and digging. I bury toys for them to dig out or do a letter dig with foam letters. The rice can get messy so I recommend doing this on easy to clean floors and keep an eye on the kids, because this smells so good, you may just have kiddies attempting to do a taste test!