Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Recipe Created on a Whim: Oatmeal Pancakes

I had no real plans for dinner Tuesday evening, except for leftovers from our weekend dinners, paired with fresh veggies and fresh fruit of course. The kids begged me for pancakes, I had a box mix of pancakes, so I got creative. I wanted something a bit more filling than just pancakes with syrup so I decided to try out oatmeal pancakes.

 I looked through recipes online but didn't find any I was totally satisfied with. So I created my own. I didn't keep exact measurements of anything since I just kind of threw things into the mix, but I did keep track of everything I used.

While these aren't the healthiest (they contain sugar and brown sugar) they are a bit more filling than just a regular pancake, Plus I served with grapes, raspberries, and sausage on the side for a well rounded meal.

Ingredients:
4 cups pancake mix (any kind, your choice)
1 1/2 - 2 cups Oats (I started with 1 1/2 cups but added more as I stirred)
Amount of water called for on the back of pancake mix box, plus a bit more once oatmeal is added. Consistency should be a bit more watery than a bowl of oatmeal.
1 tsp cinnamon
a light covering over the top of the mix of sugar
a lighter covering over the top of the mix of brown sugar (aka-less than the sugar)
1/2 mashed banana (I couldn't even taste the banana in the pancake, so if you want more, add it. It didn't really add anything to the texture or flavor, just an added fruit serving I guess. Feel free to leave the banana out of the mixture).

Stir together. Cook as you would a regular pancake (I do mine in a skillet on the stove, but it would work fine on a griddle too).


My kids ate theirs with syrup and then another one plain as an after dinner snack. The pancake tasted good either way.


We will definitely be adding these to our breakfast routine from now on!